Bad Reasons for Sharing Jesus!

Have you ever thought about your motivations for sharing your faith?  Most would just say, “Tell everyone about Jesus and the Gospel, regardless.”  I tell people “Don’t tell anyone about Jesus unless you absolutely can’t help It.”

Do a little self-quiz right now ­ three questions:

1. If you knew everyone in the world was saved, would you still share your faith…and why?
2. Have you ever felt pressured into talking about Jesus?  Made to feel guilty?  You ought to…theology?  What do you think of that?
3. Do you connect your motivation to share ­ i.e. your intention or agenda ­with how it will be received?

I know for myself, the more I’ve felt “the need to evangelize” the less I’ve openly talked about Jesus with people. Because it’s often so awkward.  The less pressure I feel, the more natural I am ­ and the more effective. BUT…this cannot be a “strategy.”  You actually have to believe it.

Your thoughts?

Comments

1. Sounds like you are avoiding the salesman approach. Smart!

Going with the Spirit of God and witnessing God’s work within the life of our fellow human being before pushing any of our views on theology and Devine judgment(and let’s face it, we can’t help but have a theological slant)sounds pretty Christ like to me.

Sharing the good news of Christ through natural communication instead of evangelizing seems that it would set the stage for relationship.

Although I struggle with this, I like James 1:19-21 “My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. 21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.”

followed by I Peter 3:1316; “13Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear what they fear[b]; do not be frightened.”[c] 15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.” (Both quotes from NIV off Bible Gateway Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica)

2. […] August 30, 2010 by Tamsin Leave a Comment Bad Reasons for Sharing Jesus!. […]

3. Wesley says:

Question 1. If by “sharing your faith” you mean talking about Christ and the gospel to others and giving glory to God for the change He;s made in you, then, sure i’d share my faith b/c that’s what we do in church or with Christian friends and family, etc. Talking about the change God made in you is something i want to share with people; saved or not. Obviously, i wouldn’t be trying to evangelize a “saved world”.

Question 2.
    It’s a tricky ballance b/c some might confuse being “made to feel guilty” with a true conviction from the Holy Spirit about their lazy indifference about sharing their faith with anyone! That being said, i worry about the reality of someone’s conversion who talks about sharing their faith like it’s a burden or an obligation. At the very best, you don’t have a proper understanding of what’s been done for you and at worst your heart is still unregenerate.

Question 3.
    I may change the way in which i share based on whom i speaking to, but i’m not more motivated for people to get saved that i think will “like” what i’m saying. The gospel is good news for everyone: not just the people who know they need it, right?

4. rachaelhall says:

I. If I knew everyone in the world was saved, then I’d likely talk about Jesus even more, knowing we have common ground. It’s way easier for me to talk to fellow believers about what God is saying to me or what He is doing in my life.

2. Sometimes I do feel the guilt or pressure, whatever, to share–that I’m NOT sharing enough, but I also refuse to jump in awkwardly with that, “So! Do you know Jesus?” line. I had 2 Jehovah’s Witness girls come to my door this morning. She started right off the bat with sharing a verse from Romans. She asked what I thought about it, do I ever think about it, and would I be willing to take her pamphlet on the matter and discuss it. I could see SHE felt very awkward and was probably doing it because she “has to.” Then she thought to tell me her name, and we shook hands and introduced ourselves. I hope she does come back. Because I’d rather know what she really feels than be presented with information that has nothing to do with caring about who I am and what’s important to me. I hope I treat others the same way, (in the latter fashion, I mean) when I am prompted to bring Christ, or my faith, into a conversation.

I think of it in this way: if I had a rich, intelligent, fun and generally groovy friend who could help me in EVERY situation, I would want everyone I know to be friends with him, too. So how is it we make introducing folks to the Friend who sticks closer than a brother so hard? It should be exciting–yes it should be a priority, but it should be natural. I’ve seen people do it and I know it can be done. Thanks, Carl.

1. Aili says:

I hope this girl comes back to you as well, and that you guys can have a really good chat with a cup of tea, and that she can shed the ‘shoulds’ hanging on her so you can have an honest conversation about what your faith means to you both. Or something like that. I must say I have stopped inviting Jehovas Witnesses, as I grew rather tired of not being able to have a chilled conversation. I do think that’s encouraged me to try to listen to people more than trying to put forward what I think and believe.
      You go girl!

5. Aili says:

1. I think I would. If sharing your faith is what God’s done for you, past and present. As well as hopes for tomorrow. Why? Because that’s kind of how I’ve slipped into talking about God-stuff. Like I would talk about any other friend or family member I like and trust.

2. Have felt mega pressured. Ashamed really that I never dared to talk about my faith throughout youth and young adulthood. Not until I heard someone say that evangelism was talking about what God’s doing, and how you see and experience that taking place. That was the first time I felt like “I can do THAT!”

3. I used to think a quite a bit about how what I said would be, maybe not so much received, but more, how I would be perceived. Over the past years, since I allowed myself to be myself, and not talk about my faith just because I should, I have had less of forced conversations where people feel as if you’re shoving some pamphlets down their throats, and more of (sometimes rather hesitant) conversations about how I see Jesus and God in my daily rumblings.

Somehow, conversations are more likely to open up without me trying to ‘make it happen’. No agenda works for me.

6. Yusuph says:

I must say in truth that I feel pressured to share Christ most times when I am with unbelievers mostly the Muslims around but, I understand better now. Your ingsights about this issue is worth commending.
    If I knew every one in the world is saved I will actually stop sharing about salvation through Christ but share Him as a sustainer of our faith and lives. Actually feeling pressured is mostly in me because I am involve in sharing Christ with the Muslims and when I am with them discussing other issues I feel am wasting a lot of time instead of sharing Christ with them.I really feel guilty about not sharing. I don’t think so much about my intent but my reason for sharing which is getting them to know Christ on a personnal level.

I hope and pray that in sharing Christ with Muslims I will be more natural and not be pressured to share when am with one.

7. sety says:

As for me, sharing Christ is a matter of answering questions:

1Pe 3:15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

so, the questions for me is: do my life is that kind of life that people around me asking why my life the way it is? is my life reflecting that great wisdom of God?

and, people will ask me if they are close-watching me. this needs deep/good friendship.

i’m still learning to life as He intended.

thanks